Public Services Librarian at Gladys Harrington Public Library
December 2015 to Present
As a public services librarian, I provide library services to the general public, responding to our unique community needs by providing education, information, and library resources. Specific tasks include:
- Plan, coordinate, conduct, and evaluate classes and programs, with a focus on programming for children, teens, adults, and families.
- Prepare and present story times for all ages, from birth to elementary school, in both internal and outreach settings.
- Serve as the Family Place Coordinator, planning and facilitating Parent/Child Playgroups, developing and maintaining community resource connections, and providing relevant resources to parents and caregivers.
- Provide guidance to patrons in the use of facilities, services, materials, and other resources.
- Assist with collection maintenance, including review of print and electronic materials, and help identify materials to be withdrawn.
- Provide reference and advisory services to patrons to assist with the identification and selection of materials.
- Create displays to market library materials and programs.
- Serve as the coordinator for the branch iPad minis, including adding apps, syncing and charging devices, and staff training.
- Serve on the STEAM Programming Committee for the system, assisting with the development, selection, implementation, and evaluation of STEAM-based programming across the system.
- Serve on the Family Programming Committee for the system, assisting with the selection and booking of library performers for entertainment and education across the system.
- Write content for inclusion on the library’s blog and participate in library social media to build an engaging online presence in the community.
- Coordinate activities in the public spaces of the library.