Youth Services Librarian
September 2014 to December 2015
As as youth services librarian, I provided library services to children and the general public, responding to their unique needs and cultivating and environment of enjoyable and convenient access to library resources. Specific tasks included:
- Conducted reference/reader’s advisory interviews to assist with patrons’ identification and selection of materials.
- Encourage use of library materials through bibliographies, displays, electronic documents, and other special tools.
- Recommended, purchased, and processed materials in the youth department, consulting a wide variety of reviewing sources and publisher catalogs.
- Evaluated and maintained the children’s collection, including the selection and withdrawal of materials.
- Developed, promoted, conducted, and evaluated original, vibrant programming for children that promoted literacy and encouraged reading.
- Planned and conducted story times for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers in both internal and outreach settings.
- Supervised youth and adult volunteers, including the application process, assigning daily tasks, and relevant statistics and reports.
- Monitored and prepared relevant statistical reports, including departmental expenditures, volunteer hours, and programming/usage statistics.
- Communicated library policies and procedures to patrons of all ages.
- Performed reference services at all library desks as needed, including reference, circulation, and youth services.
- Developed and maintained a children’s library blog, including information on upcoming programs, literacy tips, regular library programming, and other topics of interest.